Posts tagged “muscatine

Clam Fisherman – Muscatine, Iowa

10/10/2010:

Continuing the Muscatine story from my previous post, this is the statue on the Mississippi River in Muscatine, Iowa that represents the clam fishermen that supplied the button industry in this small Iowa town

Advertisements

The Button Factory – Muscatine, Iowa

10/8/2010:

It all began in 1890 when a man named Boepple, from Germany, cut his foot on a shell while swimming in the Mississippi. Boepple had made buttons from horn in Germany and noticed that the shell had a pearly color and was quite hard. He determined it would make an ideal material for buttons.  He gathered up a few shells, rigged up an old lathe at home and proceeded to cut a dozen buttons. He sold these to a Muscatine store for ten cents. Prior to this time most of the buttons used in America were imported.  Boepple sold a man name Molis on the potential money to be made using clam shells for buttons. He asked Molis to lend him $10 to get started. The two men went to New York to obtain orders and as they traveled, told the story of the plentiful supply of clams in the Muscatine area. People came from all over to make their fortune in the Button Business.  Today, their factory is a renovated restaurant in Muscatine which is known as the “Pearl Capital of the Mississippi”.  from http://www.buttonfactoryrestaurant.com.


Trinity Episcopal Church – Muscatine, Iowa

8/2/2010:

At the time the town of Bloomington (now known as Muscatine) was platted in 1839, the Parish of Trinity Church was being organized. In 1841 the first church building was a constructed. It was a simple frame structure which stood on the rear end of the same lot where the stone church now stands, on the corner of East Second Street and Walnut. This was the first church in Muscatine County and the first Episcopal Church consecrated in Iowa. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places in Iowa.


Muscatine County Courthouse – Iowa

7/28/2010

Muscatine is a city in Muscatine County, Iowa, United States. The population was 22,697 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Muscatine County. The name Muscatine is unusual in that it is not used by any other city in the United States. Muscatine’s slogan, “Pearl of the Mississippi,” refers to the days when pearl button manufacturing by the McKee Button Company was a significant economic contributor. In 1915, Weber & Sons Button Co., Inc. was the world’s largest producer of fancy freshwater pearl buttons. From that time forward, Muscatine was known as “The Pearl Button Capital of the World”.