Designed by well known Architect Stephen Holl, the new School of Art and Art History at the University of Iowa is a hybrid instrument of open edges and open center; instead of an object, the building is a “formless” instrument. Implied rather than actual volumes are outlined in the disposition of spaces. Flat or curved planes are slotted together or assembled with hinged sections. Flexible spaces open out from studios in warm weather. The main horizontal passages are meeting places with interior glass walls that reveal work-in-progress. from wikipedia.
University of Iowa. This is another shot of the building I posted last week.
The Iowa Old Capitol Building is located in Iowa City, Iowa, United States. It was once the main government building for the state of Iowa, and it now stands as the most prominent landmark at the center of the University of Iowa’s campus. It is a U.S. National Historic Landmark and it is one part of the Pentacrest, a set of five buildings that, as a set, also is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Levitt Center for University Advancement is home to The University of Iowa Foundation, the UI Alumni Association, and the UI Division of Alumni Records and Services. The facility, named for Richard S. and Jeanne S. Levitt and designed by renowned architect Charles Gwathmey (1938-2009), provides a central location for many of the University’s advancement-related activities. These include fundraising, alumni communications, and outreach; and events related to student recruitment, public relations, economic development, legislative liaison, and more.
The laboratory building, designed by Frank Gehry, is a collection of sculptural forms that is expressive of movement and energy similar to the aims of streamline design, but with a very different vocabulary. Each functional element of the project is clad in a different material from steel to copper to stone.
In January 2005, the University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication moved into its new home in the Adler Building just north of the Main Library. The building was named in memory of Philip D. Adler (B.A. 1926) after his family gave the J-MC School a major gift. Adler was publisher of the Quad-City Times (of Davenport) and a longtime supporter of the UI until his death in 1994. The Adler Building is also home to The Daily Iowan, the UI’s award-winning student-run newspaper, and the Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature. There is a very cool light sculpture by Jim Sanborn that projects words onto the building. http://elonka.com/kryptos/sanborn.html“