At the time the town of Bloomington (now known as Muscatine) was platted in 1839, the Parish of Trinity Church was being organized. In 1841 the first church building was a constructed. It was a simple frame structure which stood on the rear end of the same lot where the stone church now stands, on the corner of East Second Street and Walnut. This was the first church in Muscatine County and the first Episcopal Church consecrated in Iowa. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places in Iowa.
The Iowa Old Capitol Building is located in Iowa City, Iowa, United States. It was once the main government building for the state of Iowa, and it now stands as the most prominent landmark at the center of the University of Iowa’s campus. It is a U.S. National Historic Landmark and it is one part of the Pentacrest, a set of five buildings that, as a set, also is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Levitt Center for University Advancement is home to The University of Iowa Foundation, the UI Alumni Association, and the UI Division of Alumni Records and Services. The facility, named for Richard S. and Jeanne S. Levitt and designed by renowned architect Charles Gwathmey (1938-2009), provides a central location for many of the University’s advancement-related activities. These include fundraising, alumni communications, and outreach; and events related to student recruitment, public relations, economic development, legislative liaison, and more.
Muscatine is a city in Muscatine County, Iowa, United States. The population was 22,697 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Muscatine County. The name Muscatine is unusual in that it is not used by any other city in the United States. Muscatine’s slogan, “Pearl of the Mississippi,” refers to the days when pearl button manufacturing by the McKee Button Company was a significant economic contributor. In 1915, Weber & Sons Button Co., Inc. was the world’s largest producer of fancy freshwater pearl buttons. From that time forward, Muscatine was known as “The Pearl Button Capital of the World”.
The laboratory building, designed by Frank Gehry, is a collection of sculptural forms that is expressive of movement and energy similar to the aims of streamline design, but with a very different vocabulary. Each functional element of the project is clad in a different material from steel to copper to stone.
In January 2005, the University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication moved into its new home in the Adler Building just north of the Main Library. The building was named in memory of Philip D. Adler (B.A. 1926) after his family gave the J-MC School a major gift. Adler was publisher of the Quad-City Times (of Davenport) and a longtime supporter of the UI until his death in 1994. The Adler Building is also home to The Daily Iowan, the UI’s award-winning student-run newspaper, and the Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature. There is a very cool light sculpture by Jim Sanborn that projects words onto the building. http://elonka.com/kryptos/sanborn.html“